Medical Electives to Tanzania
Make a real difference in Tanzania on your elective
Tanzania, home to the world famous Serengeti, is renowned for it’s stunning landscapes and safaris. This makes it a popular destination for tourists and elective students. But unfortunately due to a lack of qualified medical professionals and equipment thousands of people die each year.
Our elective program works with the Cardinal Rugambwa Hospital, which is located in Ukonga area Dar Es Salaam City. It is the biggest Hospital in Ukonga and is staffed by just 8 doctors, 40 nurses.
There is a laboratory service, an outpatient department, dental department, eye department, a maternity and children clinic, a labor ward and several other hospital departments.
As an elective student based here you role will include:- assisting in taking a patient’s medical history, and updating charts and patient information to show current findings and treatments. Assist in ordering tests for nurses or other healthcare staff to perform, then helping to review test results to identify any abnormal findings You will then recommend and design a plan of treatment. Assist in addressing concerns or answer questions that patients have about their health and well-being, Assist patients take care of their health by discussing topics such as proper nutrition and hygiene.
The hospital is located about 4km from your accommodation. Public buses are the best way to get around the local area, and the bus fare is 0.2$ each way from the accommodation to the hospital. This trip is roughly 15 minuets.
Tanzania offers the best environment for Western medical volunteers to experience working in a local African environment. More over you are given the best opportunity to help those in need and share your skills.
What we offer
Our aim is to make your elective a stress free and unforgettable experience
- Catered accommodation room & board (breakfast & dinner)
- Transport to and from placement
- Direct one-to-one guidance from a medically trained Program Director and trained local professionals (for Medical Projects only)
- Individual and specialised project facilitation regardless of your speciality
- Structured program to meet your project objectives
- Direct clinical supervision and guidance (for Medical Projects only)
- Full orientation on arrival incl. placement and local orientation
- Airport pick up
- In country project coordinator
- Full administrative support with permit paperwork where necessary
- Personalised assignment schedule
- Full volunteer guidebook for your project location
- Choice to upgrade to private/en suite room (subject to availability)
- Referral to licensed & high quality tour operators to experience the best cultural experiences Africa has to offer