Medical Electives to Tanzania
Make a real difference on your elective in Tanzania
Tanzania, home to the world-famous Serengeti, is renowned for its stunning landscapes and safaris. This makes it a popular destination for tourists and elective students. But unfortunately, due to a lack of qualified medical professionals and equipment, thousands of people die each year.
Our elective program works with the Cardinal Rugambwa Hospital, which is located in the Ukonga area of Dar Es Salaam City. It is the biggest Hospital in Ukonga and is staffed by just 8 doctors, 40 nurses.
There is a laboratory service, an outpatient department, dental department, eye department, a maternity and children clinic, a labour ward and several other hospital departments.
Your role will be varied and our team will give you as many opportunities to get hands-on experience as possible. As an overview your placement will include:
- Assisting in taking a patient’s medical history
- Updating records and patient information to show current findings and treatments.
- Assisting in ordering tests for nurses or other healthcare staff to perform
- Helping to review test results to identify any abnormal findings
- You’ll then recommend and design a plan of treatment.
- Assist in addressing concerns or answer questions that patients have about their health and well-being,
- Assist patients to take care of their health by discussing topics such as proper nutrition and hygiene.
We know that your elective is a once in a lifetime experience, and marks the culmination of years of hard work. Everyone wants something different from their time away, so our team will tailor your elective placement to ensure you get out of it exactly what you want.
We have a range of specialities to choose from. Some of the most popular include:
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Community Health
- Accident & Emergency
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Breakfast & Dinner
24 Hr support from in-country team
full orientation on arrival